FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Frans Schmidt safe opening sequence?

<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Frans Schmidt safe opening sequence?

I received a safe opening job from a client. She has a Frans Schmidt safe (photo as an attachment) that she closed the door with the keys inside and now the door doesn't open. The three locks are open, but I'm wondering if there is some secret thing that has to be done with the ABCD wheels that are in the door front?

Lack of code is not an issue, but the actual opening method or sequence is a mystery. Even the keylocks were hidden behind some art work and that makes me suspect that there is some secret method to open it. She doesn't remember how it opens, as she is very old and hasn't opened the safe in a year or two.

IMG_0944.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:18 am

Re: Frans Schmidt safe opening sequence?

L@@KS to be 2 spring loaded night latch type bolts above & below main central bolt ..... unlocked on a spring mech

if unlocked just insert a cut down blank to move stump - bolt will move & pull these back - to open if just closed

would be a laborious task locking this up on a daily basis if not ... some kind of mech introduced to close it safely

http://www.siaholdsafe.com is your man states there complex spring mech -

Julius schuler & richter and Heinz both from hamburg where well known by diamond brokers and mentioned in a book

( Then we take berlin ) e book - safe cracking acid attack .... carry on F. Schmidt was from hamburg for reference

ringo
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:50 am

As 10ringo10 says, there should be two spring loaded latches, one above and one below the main central bolt, which would engage and keep the door closed if the door was pushed shut.

There is a picture of the bolt work of a very similar Frans Schmidt safe here, it is the second safe shown : http://www.moessongallery.com/safes--brandkast.html

If the method suggested above using a filed down key does not work, I suggest side-drilling a small hole for each of the two spring loaded bolts, so you can push them in to gain entry. I am loathe to suggest drilling, but I think here it may be necessary & I get the impression that it is a common technique used to deal with this issue on such safes as well as similar mechanisms used in antique strongboxes. Repairing and disguising the holes afterwards should be easy. Working out where to place the holes may be the biggest challenge unless somebody can provide measurements.

The Frans Schmidt safe in the link I posted isn't identical to the one you are dealing with, but if it uses the same lock, it should be possible to find the drill points by taking measurements relative to the keyhole from the photo & re-scaling them to the safe.

Wish I could be of more assistance, hope this is of some value.

...Mark
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks for the information guys. This ended up being a drill job unfortunately as nothing suitable to fit the keyhole was found. One little 4 mm hole strategically placed was all that was needed.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks