FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My first manipulation success

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:53 am

My first manipulation success

So a couple weeks ago I took a class on safe manipulation of group 2 3 wheel locks. In the class we were taught the basics and all the locks were modified to give an indication on wheel 3 first.

So last Saturday I went down to the shop to start practice on an Atlas safe (TL30) with a 6730 and a key op lock. I had a magnetic mounted lighted magnifying glass for a better look at the dial and my manipulation chart on the safe and got to work. Just like I was taught in class I went all wheels right to 10, left twice to 20 took my readings and progressed from there. I ended up leaving frustrated because by 8am I had a flat chart and it was already near 100 degrees and the safe is outside.

Below is the chart for that day.
June24.jpg

Yesterday morning was the first time since last Saturday that I had time to get up early and go in for more practice. I had also been thinking that maybe the reason I didn't get any indications is because this lock didn't indicate on wheel 3 first. I finally started thinking outside the classroom and went AWR starting at 95. At 90 I got a reading that was too sharp to ignore. So I was assuming this was an indication on wheel 1, thinking the fence must be tilted in the other direction. New chart AWR to 90 the twice back and started to progress up from there. At 60 I got another very drastic reading in the middle of a high spot on the wheel. It was about this time I had to start work for the day and stopped there.

So this morning I came back and did the same process as yesterday to double check my readings and couldn't get off the thought I was looking at wheel 1 and wheel 2. Then it occurred to me that I was AWR to 90 then twice to 60. Which meant I was looking at wheels 2 & 3. I started running through possible combos and I got it unlocked at 48-90-60. Below is the chart where I did my readings from today.
July1.jpg

And this is my setup with the magnifying glass.
JuneX24Xsetup.jpg

Thanks for reading, I would love to get some input. Also today I got it in about an hour and a half.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:29 am

Re: My first manipulation success

Congrats on your first opening!

Looking trough a magnifying lens can be tiring. Nice setup.

When I started reading your post was wondering why you didn't start awl... a few seconds later I found the answer. AWL is my favourite start.

Cheers :)
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:37 am

Congratulations! I've opened a number safe locks, but never an actual safe! I bet it must have been quite a thrill when that fence dropped! Also, I really like your magnifying glass setup. I find that using one helps me a lot.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:09 am

I recognize the Graph paper. Did you get it from the class? Harry Sher was the instructor when I took the class.
Nice job on your manipulation. Got it opened with no damage or repairs.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:30 pm

jharveee wrote:I recognize the Graph paper. Did you get it from the class? Harry Sher was the instructor when I took the class.
Nice job on your manipulation. Got it opened with no damage or repairs.

I did get it from class. In fact on my way home from class I stopped at Staples and scanned it into a PDF so I could keep printing fresh copies.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:53 am

Congrats!

Even though there is no "wrong" questions to ask from the lock, there is however much more simpler questions than those taught in a classroom. For example, you were taught to dial to 10 first and then dial W3 in isolation. Change this to dialing AWR or AWL to find a low spot and then figure out which wheel it is on by off-dialing one wheel at a time o find the change in CP readings. Then start parking that wheel and run the others left or right in unison and find the next one OR run the next wheel in isolation, so you gewt the next number. The last is of course brute force on simple locks.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:16 am

So I came into the shop this morning and my coworker had made these for me yesterday.
20170705_090819.jpg

The last 4 days I have been practicing a minimum 4 hours a day with a bunch of success on one lock.

Tomorrow I am scheduled to try my first commercial manipulation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:33 am

You're not wasting time. From zero to professional in just a couple weeks. Great. Keep us updated.

Cheers :)

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks