FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My start into manipulation

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:07 am

My start into manipulation

Well I have been putting off learning manipulation for a while now I guess due to a lack of confidence. But today I get to go to a class on manipulation. I know I won't walk out an expert but I like hands on learning.

About a month ago I bought the National Locksmith book on manipulation but I didn't want to read it until anfter the class.

I will update my progress from this post.

Also a special thanks to Oldfast for the beautiful lock mount he sent me a long time ago. I made one modification to that mount, I drilled a hole straight down for a place to keep the change key.
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:58 am

Re: My start into manipulation

Good luck. Manipulation is really an awesome, enjoyable way to spend one's time. I am still very new but have been learning a lot and would love to help you out if you have any questions. I will try at least!

Brandan
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 am

Good luck. The things that helped me most,was take your time. Graph in 1, or 2 digit incriments, ( I missed too much info trying to hurry).
Use a magnifying glass on a stand.
The one I use sitting in the van practising waiting for the kids cost £5 from maplin, and is sold with crocodile clips, for holding electronic parts when soldering.

I also cut up tipex correction ribbon and place small white bars between the left/right contact point digits.(one digit to the right of left contact, and one digit to the left of right contact) Then put my own small coloured marks in the ribbon
This makes the small different movements you are looking for more noticeable, and less subjective.

https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-419587/too ... gL06PD_BwE
<<

ith

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:54 am

I just pulled out my S&G 6700 series dial that i mounted over a year ago to get started on manipulation myself. Good luck to you!
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Matt! I was thrilled when I seen this thread topic this mornin' :spinning:

I know lack of time for it has been a big issue for you too.
That, and I know the one place you were working... they
didn't want you to spend any time spinnin', lol. DRILL! lol

Anyway, I'm excited for ya!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Good for you mate, really pleased to see another guy getting into it.

To add to what Ratlock said, my pearls of wisdom would be to...

-Try to switch on as many senses as possible when you're spinning. Most group 2 locks will fairly shout at you, if you are tuned in to them. How does it sound? How does it feel? How does the dial look? ...and...
-Graph to 1/8ths as soon as you possibly can. To begin with 1/4ers is about all the accuracy you'll manage but after a little while a 1/4 of a number looks as big as a house and that that point you MUST move on to recording 1/8ths. ..and lastly...
-For heaven's sake make detailed notes and graphs EVERY SINGLE TIME. You'll learn and remember so much more.

Best,

Michael.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 pm

So I was able to manipulate 3 different locks open today. The instructor said nefore the class that he modified practice locks to make them a little easier to open so you can build confidence. Now that I have had the practice in class and know the procedure I will be practicing at home and graphing etc.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:30 am

Welcome to the club!

Usually on practice locks for classes they bend the fence a little so it just touches wheel #3, then #2, then #1 or viceversa. Sometimes they file the fence thinner or the gates a little wider so it's easier to find them. But these are just tricks to speed up the process. What you learned is extremely valuable and will help you trough this endless fun journey.

Cheers :)

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks