FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Has any seen a group 2 mounted like this before?

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Re: Has any seen a group 2 mounted like this before?

webpirate wrote:Does the combo on that cabinet start with dialing to the right?

I had called this the 8500 when it is actually the 8400 lock. Sequence is L-R-L-R to 0. Now rotate butterfly (on dial nose) 90 degrees CW, and continue to turn dial (should stop near 85).
This is for the G-W cabinet. The Meilink cabinet I would think should be L-R-L-R but your dialing instructions suggest otherwise.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Interesting. Can't wait till I crack open the back of the lock to see what's happening..
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:38 pm

Sorry for the delay guys I have updated my original twitter post with pics of the lock. Very interesting setup. Seems like its supposed to be that way. I may offer to change the lock for one of my locks and keep the reversed one..

See it here https://twitter.com/WpgSafeCracker/stat ... 64992?s=01
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Pic helps. You have an S&G LH 6730 mounted LH.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:56 pm

bitbuster wrote:Pic helps. You have an S&G LH 6730 mounted LH.

The problem is the dialing sequence. Its starts by dialing to the right. Then the bolt pulls back by lturning left. I have never seen one built like this before. The cam can only be set in 1 position.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:57 am

The dialing sequence is not a problem. It has to be that way with a left-hand lock. (Not a right-hand lock mounted as left-hand.)
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:21 am

webpirate wrote:
bitbuster wrote:Pic helps. You have an S&G LH 6730 mounted LH.

The problem is the dialing sequence. Its starts by dialing to the right. Then the bolt pulls back by lturning left. I have never seen one built like this before. The cam can only be set in 1 position.

How is that a problem? It is designed to work like that.
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:05 am

The problem is you would have to know its a left hand lock. So if you have an office with 10 regular group 2 locks and 1 of these unusual ones it can cause confusion. That why I'm not sure its supposed to be like that. All other locks can he mounted in all four directions without changing dialing pattern.
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:09 am

So after further investigation it turns out S&G did construct some "Left hand" locks. the problem still remains that in an office setting with multiple cabinets this locks dialing sequence could be mistaken for a failed lock.

I think I will offer to change the lock with a more modern one so that I can keep this odd lock...
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:16 am

Yes, the left-hand locks are unusual, but also safes with left-handed doors are unusual. The big, old Kromer locks were (are) built in RH and LH configuration and were installable only with lever on top, just like the lock you have here. I assume this has to do with reliability. If the spring breaks it is still a gravity fence. Also the lever locks are built in RH and LH configurations. We are used to a key rotation depending on RH or LH operation and it might also have a reliability reason.

So the cabinet has IMHO the right lock, but I would try to get that lock as it is unusual.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:36 am

On top of me having an unsual lock whoever buys the cabinet will have less problems if its a usual configuration of LRLR dialing. Because I cannot find any instructions on the internet or on the S&G site about dialing sequences for these locks. as a matter of fact the manual for the 6735 lock that SHOWS A PICTURE OF A left hand constructed lock says: 1. Turn the dial left (Counter clockwise...).
I have posted a screen shot to the twitter thread...

There is only a brief reference on page 17 to left hand constructed locks with no mention of a different dialing sequence. I posted a screenshot of that as well...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDGZ9Y9UMAABUPw.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDGZ-zXUIAAk_Dg.jpg:large
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:22 am

I believe your first extract actually shows a RH lock from the front as the cam and some parts of the lever are dotted.
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:00 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:I believe your first extract actually shows a RH lock from the front as the cam and some parts of the lever are dotted.

You are probably right. I always get confused on weather the discriptiins are look at front of lock or back of door. I do the same on my car..
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks