FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need help with Sentry safe 1250

<<

Kawana

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Need help with Sentry safe 1250

Hello everyone. I picked up a Sentry safe 1250 from some free garage sale left overs. The serial number is intact but no combo. Ive never cracked a lock before, so I thought it might be fun to try before paying $20 to have the combo looked up by Sentry Safe. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start? Lots of the video tutorials I found were destructive methods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Re: Need help with Sentry safe 1250

Hello Kawana. I am fairly new here and my primary area of focus is safe cracking. I have only been doing it for a few months but have cracked quite a few different safes in that time. It just so happens that the first safe I ever cracked was a Sentry 1250. I want to give you a friendly bit of advice and say that if the first thing someone posts on here is asking for info on how to open a safe they are sometimes met with resistance. Seeing as how you obviously have no interest in entry via destruction I find it hard to believe that you are doing anything malicious. These safes are known as "direct entry fence" safes. Research about opening these types of safes on here. There is also info about them in "The National Locksmith Guide to Manipulation." I also highly recommend you read Femurats getting started manipulation guide as it contains a lot of information that is useful and applicable to all safes. In essence what you will need to do is apply consistent handle pressure as you dial "test combinations" and measure the deflection of the handle during these tests. Through the methods outlined in the above guides you will be able to determine the combination. Measuring the deflection can be done by mounting a laser to it, a long stick with a scale, a dial indicator, etc. I personally prefer a dial indicator if you have access to one. I also use bungee cords on the handle to provide consistent pressure. One tip I will give you with these is that finding the last number is quite easy. Turn the handle and then rotate the dial, you will feel the handle move the bar inside the safe called the fence in contact with the drive wheel and the dial will want to lock up. It will lock up between two numbers. Note these numbers and then release the handle, move the dial slightly, reapply handle pressure and then continue to turn the dial until it locks up again. Note these two numbers. Continue all the way around the dial. On the 1250 I opened most of these gates were about 2 numbers wide with one being 5 numbers wide. That wide one is the third number. Find the number in the middle of it and that is the last number. You can either do the manipulation methods outlined above to get the other two numbers or you can "dial" it open in an hour or so. Start by dialing 0, 0, Last Number and try to open it. Now nudge the second wheel to 95 and then go back to the final number and try to open it. Nudge the second wheel to 90, then go back to the final number and try to open it. Repeat this for all numbers on the second wheel. Now nudge wheel one to 5, wheel 2 to 0 and wheel three to the final number. Test this combination and then go through the process nudging wheel two. Basically you are testing all possible combinations of the first and second numbers in increments of five. I can almost guarantee this will open the safe in under one hour if you are quick to dial. If the nudging thing is confusing and you don't want to or are unable to figure out about how the wheels work, just dial 0, 0, last number, 0, 5, last number, etc. until it opens. Let me know if you have any questions.
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 pm

One more thing just so that you are aware in case you aren't already. The "proper" way to open these safes is spin the dial to the left past the first number twice, stopping on it the third time. Now spin to the right past the second number once, stopping on it the second time. Turn the dial to the left stopping on the third number the first time. Turn the handle to open.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 am

Even though the handle is to the right of the dial, the drop-in point is still at Sentry's more-often-than-not, 'usual' position.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:49 pm

tarboxb wrote:One more thing just so that you are aware in case you aren't already. The "proper" way to open these safes is spin the dial to the left past the first number twice, stopping on it the third time. Now spin to the right past the second number once, stopping on it the second time. Turn the dial to the left stopping on the third number the first time. Turn the handle to open.

Or in other words, 3 times to first number, 2 times to second number and once to third number and its open.
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:36 pm

Yup. I was just trying to explain it in a clear way to someone who may not know how to open a safe. :)

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks