FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Extremely In Depth S&G 6730 Wheelpack/Wheel Float Analysis

<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Extremely In Depth S&G 6730 Wheelpack/Wheel Float Analysis

Hello all,

I am deeply analysing the wheel pack geometry and wheel float phenomenon in my Sargent and Greenleaf 6730. I have attached an indicator which I am using to read the movement of the lever at drop in with different wheel positions. This first graph shows both wheels 1 and 2 at their gates at L50 with wheel three AL one increment at a time. This gives an extremely accurate measurement of the geometry of wheel three and it's effect on fence movement. Now I will be doing wheel three AR, and then wheels one and two AL and AR each. This is obviously quite time consuming but is extremely interesting and valuable data in my opinion if one wants to really understand how the lock works and the phenomenons that are sometimes seen while indicating the wheels via contact points. One observation that I have already made is how small of changes are actually detectable via contact point readings. Total movement of the indicator everywhere other than the gate was only about .003 but yet significant contact point readings can be found when graphing the wheel traditionally. I expected more movement of the indicator while graphing than I saw. Have a look and let me know what you think. More graphs coming up!

indicating.jpg

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: Extremely In Depth S&G 6730 Wheelpack/Wheel Float Analys

Here is the full chart for wheel 3. You can clearly see the "wheel float" that is occurring while rotating AR vs AL.
imageX1X.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri May 05, 2017 4:19 pm

This thread is interesting. Did you read some posts by Altashot? He made the first analysis about not round whelks, shadowing and the reason why going left or right affects contact points. Then many others contributed.
I think you'll enjoy reading that thread.

Cheers :)
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Hey Femurat, I have read some things by Altashot. I saw his thread talking about the location of the gates relative to the high areas of La Gard wheels. While of course there is some out of roundness, I think that this graph mostly shows what Oldfast refers to as "wheel float" where the rotational direction of the wheel affects the position of the wheel on the wheel post. The fact that in many cases the indication right vs left is dramatically different means that the phenomenon is at least not completely caused by out of round wheels.
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 05, 2017 5:26 pm

So, doing a quick check around right again, some numbers are the same... some aren't. Seems unfortunately that the wheel float is not always consistent. This issue may be a bit harder to quantify than I had hoped.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sat May 06, 2017 12:11 am

Yes, that's the thread I was referring to.

About your second test, if some numbers are the same and others aren't, it would be interesting to see the two overlapping graphs.

Cheers :)

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks