FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Wherle Safe Lock

<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 am

Wherle Safe Lock

Hey guys and gals, I'm new here and primarily interested in safe lock manipulation. I made a post about my experiences so far with a La Gard 3330 and my two successful... and two failed manipulations of it. I was looking on Craigslist and saw this old Wherle safe for sale for $100. I offered him 50 and he said sure. I haven't acquired it yet but hopefully will be. Does anyone have any idea what lock is in this? Old school S&G? Yale? I assume it is hole or screw change probably due to the age, right? He claims it works. I am just going to take it and will manipulate it open. He does know the combo, but what's the fun in that? Also, any clue how heavy this thing is? By the way, only the first picture is of the actual safe. The other two are others but show the lock dial and ring better.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Re: Wherle Safe Lock

You are probably looking at a straight tailpiece lock. These don't have separate "locks" that can be swapped out. It is an integral part of the door. Weight is probably 200-300 pounds, it's hard to judge since there is no size mentioned. If you go to move this remember, once the door is open it will lift right off (you may need a floor jack) the hinges. That will lighten your load quite a bit, moving 2 pieces instead of one.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:34 pm

mastersmith wrote:You are probably looking at a straight tailpiece lock. These don't have separate "locks" that can be swapped out. It is an integral part of the door. Weight is probably 200-300 pounds, it's hard to judge since there is no size mentioned. If you go to move this remember, once the door is open it will lift right off (you may need a floor jack) the hinges. That will lighten your load quite a bit, moving 2 pieces instead of one.

Just like M'smith said, probably a straight tailpiece. Put turning pressure on handle and turn dial to check for binding.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Well that's a bit boring, don't you think? :P
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:41 am

Try it before saying it's boring. A safe like that is worth more than 100 IMHO. If you pay it 50 you can play with it for a few days and then sell it again for 50.

A free toy :)
<<

madsamurai

Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:16 am

I've seen these safes going for $500-800+ on antique auction sites (for example http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-337484/antique-small-mini-iron-wehrle-co-ohio-home-fire-safe.html).
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 am

madsamurai wrote:I've seen these safes going for $500-800+ on antique auction sites (for example http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-337484/antique-small-mini-iron-wehrle-co-ohio-home-fire-safe.html).

If someone has the money to over pay for a safe, then more power to them. Even the 'hint' that the safe may be considered a salesman sample will put that in the head of a potential buyer, who will actually believe it is a salesman sample, when, in fact, it is NOT. Too many 'antique' sites are duping people into that, and their 'appraisals' are inflated.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 pm

$50?! I'd jump on that. Have you picked it up yet?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed May 17, 2017 11:26 am

I'm currently bidding on this one. Ends tonight.
http://www.jjsauctionservice.net/cgi-bi ... TIQUE-SAFE

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks