FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My nemesis: S&G 6630

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:55 pm

My nemesis: S&G 6630

As I got last week some dials I mounted my 6630 on Sunday and started playing around a bit. It is for me extremely difficult to get the contact point by feeling or hearing. I am mostly guessing where the contact points are. It probably doesn't really matter that the nose roller is eccentric. I will let you know in case I get some usable information from this lock.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:04 am

Re: My nemesis: S&G 6630

The contact point on that is very easy to get, pretty much the same as with 6730. The problem is that the contact point is pretty much random due to that eccentric roller. Only way I know of and would love to hear more methods, is to just painstakingly take more readings until you get low enough or lower than before and hope for the best.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 am

On the 6730 and on the 6642 it is easy for me to get the contact points. On this one not. But maybe I will learn it.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:36 am

Can't you exploit the false gates at your advantage? I know the roller on the nose may be difficult to handle. But even if you take not so consistent readings you should be able to find a gate, true or false doesn't matter. We already had this conversation about another lock IIRC.

In theory you should hit a contact point many times and record only the lowest reading. It's more or less what I do when I'm not sure about a contact point: hit it a few times until I'm sure I'm exactly on it.
Now I wish I had a 6630 to find out myself how difficult it is. Only problem is, I'm not going to spend 100 euro to find it out. I'll add it to my watch list and hope to find a deal on one.

Cheers :)
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:30 am

At the moment my readings vary by up to one notch from number to number. That is so much that any gate is really lost in the noise. I will try this lowest reading technique. Once I have some reliable contact points I am sure I will get it open. If I fail you will get the lock.

One more thing: At the moment the dial turns clockwise a few numbers if I put it at the right contact point. Is this a problem of mounting (or the dial/spindle) or is it just due to the weight distribution of the cam?
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 am

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure we can make a deal.

Dunno about the dial turning on its own. It may be the spring that pushes it down the cam slope, and the roller makes it act like a wheel down a hill. This is pure speculation, someone that has the same lock could tell it for sure.

Cheers :)
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:35 am

If I lie the lock flat down then I can feel the contact point well. I will try to play with my mounting. Maybe the behaviour can be improved.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 am

The roller and spring on the fence will make it springy feel, I remember it going away from CP on its own.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue May 02, 2017 2:11 pm

Had again some time looking at the 6630 last night. The cam is different around the gate compared to the 6730 cam. Especially on the left contact point the cam edge drops slowly down into the gate. On this side I can't feel the contact point at all. The right side of the contact point I can feel. I am not sure how precise my readings will be, but I will get readings.
<<

madsamurai

Post Tue May 02, 2017 2:40 pm

I was looking at pics of the 6631 a few days ago and was noticing how gradual that drop is on the cam... it's a very smooth curve, almost like a yin/yang symbol. I could see pretty clearly how difficult it would make reading that side, especially with the wheel on the nose.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Made one AWL graph. I get the right contact point ("right" meaning here mostly "right" and not necessarily "correct") when I hear a slight click when I move the dial slightly left-right. I am sure on a real safe I would need some form of listening device. (Or supersensitive fingers.) Will make one or more AWL graphs and then show you the result.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat May 06, 2017 7:36 am

Three AWL graphs. The lock's combination is 20/40/60. My last graph is blue and took around 20 minutes. For reading I made tiny wiggles from just below the contact point upwards until I got a clicking sound of the roller colliding with the cam. To optimize the nose roller I wiggled the dial around the right contact point. If the reading was at least 0.5 digits higher than the previous reading I rewiggled a few times and read the contact point again. This might be a good idea for all reading to not miss a gate. The indication at 60 is the true gate of w3. There is a false gate at 93.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sat May 06, 2017 10:20 am

Great job. Looks like you found a way to graph it, despite the roller. You're good!

Congrats :)
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks! Any idea if the 6630 is more precise (i.e. has a wider finger) than the 6730 and 6642?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 11, 2017 4:32 pm

After 200 minutes of spinning I have
w1: one suspected gate and no others showing (90)
w2: three probably false gates (10, 30, 55) with a guess of the location of the true gate which does not indicate at all (65)
w3: all three gates of one must be the true gate (31, 64, 97)
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks