FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Another conquest

<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Another conquest

Just posting another successful manipulation. People are always so surprised when I get it open.

https://flic.kr/p/RXEdZo

https://flic.kr/p/T1i4j5

https://flic.kr/p/T1i4gQ
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: Another conquest

You have no idea how jelous I'm feeling seeing a picture of the lock you've just opened in 30 minits, without a listening aid.
Any tips for a rookie like me just starting on wheel locks.?
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:18 am

I needed the stethoscope on this one. Contact points were very quiet..
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:27 am

Great! What lock model was it?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:11 am

S&G 6730
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:22 am

Interesting. Did you need the stethoscope due to manufacturing variation or due to wear?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:24 am

I didn't see that part asking for advice. This is one hobby where practice is key. Make a practice lock and bring it with you everywhere. Because even if you aren't getting the lock open yet you are still learning how to spin fast. You are learning hand eye coordination. You will learn how to spinn fast 2.75 times then slow down for last .25 to land on the number you need. Somehow even while spinning fast I have learned how to move my eyes at the same rate at the spin to see what numbers are lining up at the index mark. That's done with practice.
Even if you aren't getting the lock open you will be learning how to park 1 wheel while investigating other wheels. Even if you never manage to manipulate/crack one open you can still impress people with the speed at which you can open a safe...
So practice practice practice. My practice lock is always in my backpack.
Last edited by webpirate on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:29 am

I needed the stethoscope because of slight lock wear combined with a slightly bent dial.. The combination of the 2 does not affect operation of the lock but made it a bit difficult to feel the contact points. My guess is that the dial was bumped while the door was open which meant the rubbing was right in the spot to read the contact points. Even after fixing the dial bend the contact points were barely able to be felt... Even if the dial wasn't bent I would have probably used the scope.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks Webpirate. Great advice.
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Heres list of all my safes that I've done. A few of them o just couldn't get...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDeenpS
<<

Squelchtone

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:16 pm

webpirate wrote:Heres list of all my safes that I've done. A few of them o just couldn't get...

impressive work!

What do you consider an average/normal opening time when you're at some office and the secretaries are hovering around watching you manipulate a safe with a 6730 on it? do you test factory combo's first or just start dialing AWL or AWR? Do you find it is faster to just take note of one contact point or do you check left and right contact points?

I saw the blue and green tape you use, may I suggest something I use at work for mic cables, it's called gaff tape, or gaffers tape, it is a cloth tape, which does not leave residue when lifted off, and it will stick your gear to the safe doors better than painters tape or the green tape. It also looks pretty tacti-cool since it is grey or black. you can also write on it with silver sharpie. Another good thing about it is you can easily hand tear it into small strips to mark things like opening indexes, etc. Instead of carrying the whole roll around, you can tape a few feet of it and roll it around a sharpie, then you have tape and sharpie all in one at all times and it fits in your tool box better than a big honkin roll. here's an example, and yes, it's that expensive normally https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Pre ... B00GZE3UJ8

Thanks
Squelchtone
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 pm

Impressive pictures webpirate, thanks for sharing.
I like the round door a lot.
Squeltchtone, great idea with the sharpie and tape.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:59 am

And there is also duck tape. I'm not sure how good it is, but it is at least a nice play with words.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TOL44Q

webpirate, greate photos and work! Does the "Xnn" mean you opened this type nn times? Do you only manipulate open just like Oldfast? Do you also pick lever locks? There are some 8550s as far as I can see. Do you manipulate them via the sound it makes when the fence impacts at the wheels? Are they 20 hours webpirate-secure?

Martin Hewitt

.... have to finish mounting my 6630.
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:04 am

:pimpmofo:
Squelchtone wrote:
webpirate wrote:Heres list of all my safes that I've done. A few of them o just couldn't get...

impressive work!

What do you consider an average/normal opening time when you're at some office and the secretaries are hovering around watching you manipulate a safe with a 6730 on it? do you test factory combo's first or just start dialing AWL or AWR? Do you find it is faster to just take note of one contact point or do you check left and right contact points?

I saw the blue and green tape you use, may I suggest something I use at work for mic cables, it's called gaff tape, or gaffers tape, it is a cloth tape, which does not leave residue when lifted off, and it will stick your gear to the safe doors better than painters tape or the green tape. It also looks pretty tacti-cool since it is grey or black. you can also write on it with silver sharpie. Another good thing about it is you can easily hand tear it into small strips to mark things like opening indexes, etc. Instead of carrying the whole roll around, you can tape a few feet of it and roll it around a sharpie, then you have tape and sharpie all in one at all times and it fits in your tool box better than a big honkin roll. here's an example, and yes, it's that expensive normally https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Pre ... B00GZE3UJ8

Thanks
Squelchtone

I've learned that there is no average time. Sometimes its 15 minutes sometimes its 2 hours. Even on practice locks I will get it this time in 6 minutes, reset the combo and then it can take 1 hour. And that's on the same lock!

I used to do AWL religiously but then 1 time AWL wasn't revealing any gates at all so I decided just to fiddle with AWR and AWR revealed gates so obviously. So now I have included AWR into the regular routine.

In regards to left and right contact points the ramp is a more reliable source of information because it MUST be a ramp the other contact point isn't that reliable (although it usually is) . My most used time saving method it to check contact points by 2 starting with even numbers.. If no gates are revealed I will repeat the process using the odd numbers I skipped.

I like the gaff tape idea, my only concern is removing paint when I taken the tape off. Then I also tape scrap paper on the door so I can write stuff down in case I am interrupted.
I've thought of buying a magnetic scope but I use the scope only in seemingly impossible locks and that's pretty rare so the cost for the magnetic scope I just can't justify. But I will definitely look into gaff tape.
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:11 am

MartinHewitt wrote:And there is also duck tape. I'm not sure how good it is, but it is at least a nice play with words.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TOL44Q

webpirate, greate photos and work! Does the "Xnn" mean you opened this type nn times? Do you only manipulate open just like Oldfast? Do you also pick lever locks? There are some 8550s as far as I can see. Do you manipulate them via the sound it makes when the fence impacts at the wheels? Are they 20 hours webpirate-secure?

Martin Hewitt

Yes the X 30 means 30 times...

I have investigated the 8550s and from what I can see there is no way to manipulate them.
So now what I do is modify them to just operate a regulular group 2 locks. You just have to remove 1 part and it becomes a group 2 lock...
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks