FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Another conquest

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Another conquest

webpirate wrote:I used to do AWL religiously but then 1 time AWL wasn't revealing any gates at all so I decided just to fiddle with AWR and AWR revealed gates so obviously. So now I have included AWR into the regular routine.

Because of ratlock's lock I thought the last days about this AWL/AWR issue. I can't see a difference why one should reveal gates better then the other. Yes, there can be differences, because due to the fly there is a shift from wheel to wheel, but I have no idea, why one shift should be always better then the other. If the wheels are programmed a bit differently the new AWL is the old AWR regarding wheel position.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:08 pm

https://flic.kr/p/ThQuSK

The red circled parts is why there is a shift. For some reason this is sometimes enough to change the dynamic of the readings. You just have to remember that sometimes the AWR readings are 2-3 numbers off if that gate is on the first or 3rd wheel.. So if you do AWR and you find a gate at 60... If you figure out that the gate is on the first or 3rd wheel the number will either be -2 or +2 (I can't remember which one but its one of those).the only time it will actually be 60 is if it on the 2nd wheel. Luckily group 2 locks are a bit forgiving and will actually sometimes be sloppy enough to let that variance still allow the lock to open. But when you put the change key in you will see/feel the second wheel off a bit.. So remember that because sometimes a lock won't be that forgiving..
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:21 am

The wheels align just slightly differently due to rotational difference (wheel 1 showing the most difference, sometimes up to a number or two), but one has to remember that the wheels are also freely floating on the shaft/protrusion in the lock, thus they can shift/cock/lean differently due to different rotational direction. This all plays a role in getting a reading, meaning that if AWL or AWR doesn't give you anything, the other direction could be enough of a difference to give indications. Or not, in which case you start parking things and trying some other approach than AWL/AWR.
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks