FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Safe Lock Stands & Practice Mounts

<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:00 pm

Safe Lock Stands & Practice Mounts

Cross posting from another lock picking forum. Looking for suggestions for practice mounts for my new safe locks. I have one lock with a short shafted dial so I bought one of the plastic mounts, but I'm looking for something longer for my other locks.

Squelchtone wrote:Since the rules say no linking to your own auctions, I cannot show you a link to the "safeman safe lock stand" I have for sale on ebay, but you can search for them.

easy-e wrote:Thanks, I've been looking for one. I was going to buy one from barj78 but yours are cheaper and I'd rather buy from another member and keep the money in the family. Is it possible to use spacers or stand offs for locks with longer shafts or will it topple over? I still need to build a nice adjustable stand.

Squelchtone wrote:Most folks will cut the spindle down to match the lock stand, but then you pretty much cant install the lock on a real safe unless it is the same depth.

member lockmanladystuff on ebay has adjustable plexiglass stands but they're very spendy.

EDIT: (well.. he or barj used to have these clear home made mounts using nuts and bolts for depth adjustment, but I cant seem to locate them today. lockman has one for sale WITH the lock isntalled for $169. If you have any Macguyver in you, just borrow the idea and build your own for $20 in parts from the hardware store.

easy-e wrote:Yeah, I've seen those clear adjustable ones in many auctions and I don't want to cut mine down if I don't have to. One of mine is pretty short and would work in a stand, but the others have a 2-3 inch gap. I've got some 1/4" HDPE scraps laying around but I might use 3/8" plywood and T-Nuts so I can have something simple and cheap that is also reusable and won't strip out easily. Should be less than $5 dollars unless you are shopping at Ace. We've got a good regional fastener supplier called Tacoma Screw. They are usually half the price of the big box stores and 10-25% the price of Ace. They will always have my business because they gave me a single nut for my bike for free when I was 8 years old. Thanks again and I just placed an order for a stand from you through eBay. When I get around to building an adjustable depth stand I'll make a thread about it.

femurat wrote:Hey easy-e,

you're right, don't cut the spline or your lock will be useless.

About an adjustable length stand: it doesn't work for manipulation! When you're manipulating you want the lock to be as still as possible. Mounting it on an adjustable stand will make impossible to read the contact points and so would make manipulating ineffective.

I suggest you make a long and solid wooden stand. Build something like a box or a cube and mount the lock across it.

Cheers :)

Thanks femurat. I never considered that. I had already realized that it would be difficult to keep the lock and dial parallel and lined up perfectly on an adjustable setup. I have tons of wood around. I'm sure I could find something that would work. I was just hoping to figure out something simple that I could re-use for lots of different lengths of locks. I was going to make my plates with threaded inserts, I could probably just cut up a pile of spacers and instead of using bolts to spread the plates apart, use them to clamp the stack together. I also bought a mag drill a few months ago and haven't had a big enough project to play with it. Maybe I need to go to the scrap yard next door and ask them for some 2 or 3 inch plate!

Is it as true with safes as pin tumblers? The difference between what you feel and hear when picking a lock held in a vise compared to holding the lock in your hand? Both of which are totally different than picking one in a door.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: Safe Lock Stands & Practice Mounts

Well I guess I'll cross post too: I like the spacers idea. Make them modular, add some dowels to keep them in place and you're done.

Cheers :)
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 am

Looked for a place to post this, feel free to move it if theres a better place.

Here in the uk Ive searched all around and couldnt find an off the shelf practice mount.I had tried bending aluminium checker plate and mounting a few locks before, but they were at best just holders.

After some advice from a better man than me ( cheers Capt dunc) they all needed shimming to get them spinning like safes, rather than old washing machines, if was I would have a fighting chance or hearing and feeling whats happening inside.

I bought this chubb lock last week off ebay, and also bought a ready cut to length peice of 100mm x 100mm aluminium too.
After some small adjustments and a couple of shim washers, it looks like Im ready to go.

It looks not to bad. It has a decent weight to it, and with pads that go on the bottom of furnature stuck to the bottom, it sits ok without sliding on the kitchen table.

<<

madsamurai

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Don't know if you guys saw this post, but L0ckcr4ck3r makes some really nice aluminum stands... he's prepping to make another batch soon, so you might want to PM him and get in on that.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 am

Ive got my name on that list too

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks