FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

New toys

<<

madsamurai

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:55 pm

New toys

The kindly mailman brought me some new fun today... a LaGard 3330 and an S&G 6804 7-lever safe lock. Should both be good times... hope to get them mounted up tomorrow.

Does anyone else have any experience with the 6804 (or other S&G key-operated locks)? I really want to open it up and see how it works -- I'm curious to see how a lever lock can be re-keyable the way these are -- however when I took the screws out and released pressure on the lid there seemed to be a good deal of spring pressure and it made me nervous... I'm hoping it's just a relocker spring, but in my mind it was about to blow apart on me and I'd be spending the next day searching the floor for pieces and trying to figure out how they went together. So I put the screws back in for now... :)
<<

madsamurai

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:12 pm

Re: New toys

OK, I couldn't resist... I took it apart anyway (livin' on the edge) and it didn't blow up on me. No relocker, just a retention spring on the lever stack. Much simpler on the inside than I expected, but still pretty interesting. Gut pics tomorrow...
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:20 pm

We were going to tell you to go ahead.....we would come and help you look for parts! :shock:
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

madsamurai

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:28 pm

mastersmith wrote:We were going to tell you to go ahead.....we would come and help you look for parts! :shock:

Lol... I'll keep that in mind next time I drop a pin or a spring... I've become intimately familiar with my floor since I started this :D
<<

escher7

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:04 am

Old watchmakers' trick: wear a bib type carpenters' apron and fix the bottom edge to the bench. Anything that falls gets caught and is easy to retrieve.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:45 am

For this kind of lock, the answer to "how they can be re-keyable" is usually that there is one stump per lever and that they can be moved around. Is this the case for these also?

Surprised me too when I saw it - I was expecting two sets of levers or something like that.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:13 am

It works similar to this lock with a two-bitted key:
http://wiki.koksa.org/FAS_vds_Klasse1_verstellbar
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

madsamurai

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 am

Martin, that's more like what I expected to see... this one is much simpler. Just put up a full teardown post.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks