FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

The highs and lows of locksport...

<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:53 am

The highs and lows of locksport...

About a week ago I got the lock that I'll be using as my training lock: A bit of an orphan group 2 lock called a Kaba Ilco 67300. Maybe not the best lock in the world but for ten bucks on eBay so I thought I was doing pretty well.

I take it round to my dad's place, and ask him to make me up a practice stand. Now my dad is a very talented bloke...he's a retired marine engineer so he's spent his life working with mechanical stuff, and in his retirement he's taken up woodworking with surprising results. Dunno how many of you guys subscribe to my channel but he made the Sargon of Akkad lock I featured in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-419m9y_WSc

Upshot is, he's no slouch with the tools. So I get an email from him this morning telling me to come over and collect the lock...but it's got a couple of problems and would I please have a look at it first. I think...ok, maybe he's buggered something up? Who knows.

So the first thing I see is this:

DSC_0551.jpg

...and I'm thinking wow, that looks great, nothing wrong with that.

And then he says...ok have a look at the back.

DSC_0552.jpg

So I expect the worst, but it turns out that all that's happened was that he wasn't happy with the way the lock was mounting up, so he put that slightly different fixing nut and bolt arrangement that you can see in the top left corner. So at this point I'm thinking well ok dad, you're a bit of a perfectionist but this ain't a problem.

And then he says...yeah but wait until you install the dial. So I do.

DSC_0554.jpg

Turns out that the spindle is so far off true that in its current form, it's unuseable. The lock was unused new old stock and this was pretty obviously the reason...but the eBay ad neglected to mention this minor detail.

Upshot: Instead of spending a happy weekend graphing, I'm back to picks and pins. Do you feel my pain?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:24 am

Re: The highs and lows of locksport...

In your picture the drive cam ( the brass bit the retracting lever drops into) is missing. Do you have it.? If you put the spindle in the drive cam (if the spindle is straight) it will sit at 90 degres, and the same if its in the dial. Then you will see what repairs need to be done.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:42 pm

ratlock wrote:In your picture the drive cam ( the brass bit the retracting lever drops into) is missing. Do you have it.? If you put the spindle in the drive cam (if the spindle is straight) it will sit at 90 degres, and the same if its in the dial. Then you will see what repairs need to be done.

Yeah the lock's complete, the only thing I'm diffy is a change key but that's not a problem since this is never going to be used in service.

By the look of it the issue is that the spindle was inaccurately press fit into the dial; thb I don't think I'll try and repair it I'll just find something compatible to replace it with and chalk this one up to experience. Maybe even buy another similar lock; at this price I really don't mind having two locks sharing one dial.

DSC_0556.JPG

Michael.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:45 pm

How long ago did you buy this? If it was listed new/old stock then the lock should be in perfect condition. I'd let the seller know and get a refund. I know it's only $10, and it doesn't solve your immediate problem, but maybe he would even have another one (unbent) that he could send you
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:56 pm

MHM wrote:.....Do you feel my pain?

Indeed I do! :???: Well, at least it wasn't much money.

Dave's right though... can't hurt to notify the seller. My experience on ebay has nearly always been exceptional.
If he has a number of 'em, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he sends you another dial, no questions asked.

p.s. Let your father know I think he's done a splendid job with that mount! I like it.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

plugspin

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:13 pm

Slightly bent spindles are actually very fixable. You need a vise, some scrap wood, and a hammer. First, using your square, note the number on the dial that the spindle is bent most AWAY from. This will be the "high side" of the dial.

First, cut some scrap wood into pieces approximately 1/4" x 1/2" x 3". Use some masking tape or similar to tape the wood to the spindle on both sides of the spindle. Now you can put the spindle in the vise jaws. You want the dial facing straight up with a small amount of clearence (about 1/4" but not much more than that) between the bottom of the dial and the vise jaws. Now clamp down a little hard on the vise, but not too hard. The wood you taped to the spindle is there to protect the spindle threads. Don't ruin the threads. You want just enough force so the spindle doesn't slip when we use our hammer in the next step.

Next, take a block of wood (a piece of 2x4 scrap works well) and place it over top of the spindle. Use a hammer and smack the area of the dial you are bending back (the number you noted in the first step - the "high side"). It will take a fairly strong blow, but the wood should do a reasonable job of protecting the dial face.

Take the dial out of the vise and recheck it with your square. If there is no change then you did not hit it hard enough, try it again. If it's still bent, also note if the direction of the bend has changed. Once you get a feel for how hard to hit the dial it you will start making progress. If you are lucky you will get it fairly straight. At the worst, you can still make the dial usable again.

Good luck.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:17 am

If the bending doesn't fix it or you don't want to risk it, pull the dial off, drill the hole bigger and fill the gap with epoxy and drop the spindle in. Once it cures, it's there solid.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:21 pm

You know what guys? I might just give all of the above a try. There's nothing to lose, I don't hold out a lot of hope in contacting the seller but will give it a try, and if all else fails, just get another compatible lock. Updates to come.

Oldfast - yeah, my dad's a bit of a craftsman. Dunno if your laptop is feeling well enough to play Youtube videos yet but if so have a look at that link to his wooden lock. Truly amazing from someone who knows nothing whatsoever about locksmithing.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:20 am

Unfortunately not. It likely doesn't have to do with my laptop itself, but I have been unable
to watch a youtube vid in many weeks. At any rate, this laptop is ready to crash any day.
Gotta go shopping, but don't relish the thought. Almost as bad as looking for a new car.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks