FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

All left combination puzzle

<<

madsamurai

Post Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:17 pm

All left combination puzzle

I read the interview with Mark Bates on Safe Ventures a few nights ago (http://www.safeventures.com/news.php?news_id=16) and he said something that struck me as pretty fascinating, and I couldn't fathom how it was possible so I let it stew in the back of my mind while I learned and worked out some confusion during my first manipulation:

Example a locks combination is L10-R20-L30. Going the other way, it is R8-L21-R30. Why does it change when the dialing is reversed. After you tell me that, tell me how to dial it L10-L21-L30 (that’s right, all wheels being parked to the left!)

I thought, "How can you just keep going left and set the wheels to different numbers?" I think I understand it now, so please correct me if I'm wrong here.

L to pick up all wheels and set to L10
R to pick up 3 & 2 and take past 21, then back L to pick up 3 & 2 again and set at L21
R to pick up 3 and take past 30, then L to pick up 3 again and set to L30

Am I right? Are there also other ways?
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: All left combination puzzle

Yes, you're spot on. And no, there's no alternative other than how you've explained it here.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

madsamurai

Post Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:03 am

Sweet! One of the things I'm realizing is when I've been reading thru all of this stuff, I was interpreting combinations wrong... I was assuming L10 as 'turn left to 10' -- sort of a shorthand instruction -- but I think it's more accurate to think of L10 as a specific location or coordinate. It's a very subtle difference, but I think it makes sense.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:55 am

Well L10 means turn left to 10, but it depends what wheel are you talking about in the sense of how many rotation you have to do. But it means just that - turn left to 10.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks