FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How to assemble my "new" S&G 6700 series combination lock?

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:43 am

Re: How to assemble my "new" S&G 6700 series combination loc

I have finalized the mounting on my beech board yesterday. Straightened the dial axis as far as possible, cut off excess material from the axis, adjusted and fixed the part around the dial and closed the case. I think the case is also limiting the movement of the dial axis and it is ok for me now.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:17 pm

My first two graphs. Blue is before proper mounting. Red is now with proper mounting. The combination is 20/40/60. 60 can be clearly seen, 20 slightly.

Martin Hewitt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Gave today my lock to my personal Combination Change Girl - a colleague - to change the combination. It was the first time she operated such a lock. On my first round with with AWR I had a good signal at 60 with something suspicious at 5 to 10. I could locate the wheel no. 3 to be the wheel responsible for the good signal at 60. So I started a scan of Lx/Lx/R60 beginning from x=0. Around 7.5/10 I got again this slight signal. So I just tested 10/20/60 and 20/10/60. As both had the same gate width I continued the scan. At L60/L60/R60 it was open! I was puzzled because R60/R60/R60 did not open the lock. Also no L60/L60/L60 and L60/R60/L60 even with some wiggling. So one or two numbers are slightly off? This whole procedure took me I think slightly over an hour.

So now I can say to Fritz the Cat I have practical knowledge. :)
Last edited by MartinHewitt on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:32 am

The combination was 60/58/61. Evil!
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Your colleague... naughty girl she is. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:39 pm

Yup, she is, but probably she didn't know how evil that was. I just gave her the limitation, that the last number must not be between 0 and 20. I have to try sometime something slightly more off, maybe 57/57/60 or 57/63/60 to see how this looks with a scan with W3@60.

Martin Hewitt
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:46 am

Got the combination changed by my personal combination change girl. My attempt to manipulate it was a complete failure. The contact points didn't shift much. On a complete AWR or AWL scan I got often one indication of a gate which I couldn't verify and which was always at a different location. So I opened it to look what the combination is. I found she forgot to turn the change key back. Maybe I should buy a genuine key. (Or she is even more evil!)
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:21 am

Hahah... Evil combination change girl is evil!

My combo change girl is always trying to trip me up with things like that, but I asked her to follow the best practice of keeping all numbers spaced a bit from one another. Nice spinnin' dude!
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:12 pm

The only limitation I gave here was that the last number must not be between 0 and 20. I didn't give here additional rules, because they limit the possible combinations and the resulting combinations might interesting.

Next time I let her demonstrate that she can open the lock.
<<

Fritz the Cat

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Hello Martin . I just opened my Ward's 9007 safe form scratch . Reading your combination efforts simulates my imagination . Mine opened at 70-10-65 .

I guessthey didn't followthe no 0 0r 5's for last digits ?

I also caught myself wondering which way to turn the doorknob on entering my home . :???: :tension:

Congrats on your new level of safe manipulation .

We both have come far . :D :circlip:
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:19 pm

Fritz the Cat wrote:Hello Martin . I just opened my Ward's 9007 safe form scratch . Reading your combination efforts simulates my imagination . Mine opened at 70-10-65 .

Yup, seen it! I am so proud of you!

I guessthey didn't followthe no 0 0r 5's for last digits ?

Didn't someone write here, that he saw in the field only combinations with numbers only ending in 0?

Congrats on your new level of safe manipulation .

Thanks!
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:00 pm

So got a new combination set. This time I controlled the change key myself and for the next time I got a genuine change key.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Open. 68/47/97.

On the AWR the 47 and the 97 were visible. The 97 was clearly W3, but the 47 was a bit more difficult to put to W2 for sure. The diameter of W1 and W2 is largest nearest to the gate. Maybe that is the reason why I had problems with the 47. That took me around 3 hours.
<<

Fritz the Cat

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:36 am

I just asembled my first S & G 6741 lock onto a wood practice stand . There is some binding when turn the dial thru the 25 inc. Tried reliefing possibe stress of screws fasening lock to uneven wood surface . Still binding . Disappeared when I loosened the brass key .

How does lock feel ? Any binding ?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:22 am

Not really since I straightened the spindle. The most noticeable is the drop zone.

The spline might be touching the back cover. I had to file of a bit from the top of the spline. That was due to the cam sitting to hard on the wheel pack with the nearest setting and the next nearest is hence one full turn around.

And the obvious:
The spindle should be as straight through the middle of the wheel pack as possible.
The dial ring should be centered to the dial as good as possible.
PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks