FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

WACO keyblank?

<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:40 pm

WACO keyblank?

I got a client asking for a key to a WACO safe. It is a small fire rated rated, looks about the same as a Diplomat safe, with mech. combo lock and a pin-tumbler keylock. The only issue is that the safe is about 400 km away and I have no idea what the keyway is for this safe so I could bring a blank with me.

Anyone happen to know?

Edit: Added a picture of the door. Apparently it is a "japanese" safe, though I do remember that these things are built in some other country and sold under various names.

IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0691.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:55 pm

Re: WACO keyblank?

you've probably seen this already.........I have never worked on a Waco. Could it possibly be a smaller Yale blank?? Just a guess.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 48374.html
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:21 pm

bitbuster wrote:you've probably seen this already.........I have never worked on a Waco. Could it possibly be a smaller Yale blank?? Just a guess.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 48374.html

Yeah, forgot to mention about that, I even sent an email to the Eagle safe company to see if the y recognise it as their own.

To my eyes the keyway does look pretty generic/simple, but as I'm not equipped with a shelf full of blanks to try, I'm trying to get any info I find :)

(Have to build that Easy Entrie, as it would make my life easy every time this issue comes up).
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:53 pm

I've done a few of these Japanese fire safes (Uchida and Kumahira) and as you said, they're the same beast as a diplomat/Bumil safes.

They either use a small format Yale (however yours doesn't look like a Yale key way) or some format of a generic 4 pin. The last one I did used a CS29 (Ilco or Dominion reference), which is a FID1 in Silca.

The other commonly used blanks are for Star locks (manufactured in Japan). Silca references STA1, STA1R etc are popular, but as the key way is quite generic several blanks for Star locks will fit or can be modified.

If you compare the profiles of all the above blanks by looking in the Silca catalogue or Silca EKC, you'll see they all share a common profile.

They pick super easy and are quick to remove, so the other option is to open safe and remove lock. Take it back to workshop and fit for a key. Once you've made the key, just mail the lock and keys back to the client (making sure the postage is included in your fee!)

Be warned, some recently manufactured Japanese fire safes use a dimple lock that's a bit of a pain in the rear, but your key way doesn't look like that's the case.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:10 am

Rumball Solutions wrote:I've done a few of these Japanese fire safes (Uchida and Kumahira) and as you said, they're the same beast as a diplomat/Bumil safes.

They either use a small format Yale (however yours doesn't look like a Yale key way) or some format of a generic 4 pin. The last one I did used a CS29 (Ilco or Dominion reference), which is a FID1 in Silca.

The other commonly used blanks are for Star locks (manufactured in Japan). Silca references STA1, STA1R etc are popular, but as the key way is quite generic several blanks for Star locks will fit or can be modified.

If you compare the profiles of all the above blanks by looking in the Silca catalogue or Silca EKC, you'll see they all share a common profile.

They pick super easy and are quick to remove, so the other option is to open safe and remove lock. Take it back to workshop and fit for a key. Once you've made the key, just mail the lock and keys back to the client (making sure the postage is included in your fee!)

Be warned, some recently manufactured Japanese fire safes use a dimple lock that's a bit of a pain in the rear, but your key way doesn't look like that's the case.

Thank you for the information, I'll dig in to it. I have once had to pick a similar lock from a Tocabi firesafe and i went easily. In this Waco case the door is already open, so I could either do what you suggested or have the client disassemble it (which is not what I like them to do).

And got an answer from Eagle safe company, this is not their production.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:48 am

For safes of this type , it is usually Silca RC3R.
But the pic is a bit too blurry to confirm.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks