FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Rotational Conversion Constants ... How to use them

<<

klynch212

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Rotational Conversion Constants ... How to use them

Hi Hello Guys
I've several questions about Rotational Conversion (RC constants)
I have read a lot here about the rotational offset caused by the drive pins and partially reduced
by moving flys. These were presumably designed to nearly retain the wheels max keyspace or
possibly to (try?) to allow "bidirectional combos" (can't see why that would add to the security)

I have seen discriptions of how to derive them (4X AWL or AWR, park @ 50 then "unwind" them
in the "reverse" direction and record the difference from 50 as each of the wheels picks up.

Thats where I'm a bit confused?
I can see how that method will provide RCs that are either all L or all R.

Since when we initially collect our data for graph1 (AWL(or AWR) these readings are also all in one direction
it seems 1 or 2 wheels would be reverse direction of the "correct" combination (in need of RC?)

At what point in the analysis or by what method do we apply the RC to what value

Are we to assume that (after amplification) if a gate is indicated (Hi Lo test) on Wheel 2,
(I understand this is generally the rarest wheel to indicate on spring lever/moving fly locks)
Should the final LRL combo for the gate indicated on wheel 2 be offset by the RC derived for it?

I understand the method of collecting the RCs but not what they represent/or actually are
(since they all pickup it seems like they should be cummulative readings not just per wheel)

Confused....
Thanks for your help
KJL
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:33 am

Re: Rotational Conversion Constants ... How to use them

In a theoretical, perfect ideal world, the wheels and their flyes move exactly so that the same combo would work in reverse. That's not the purpose for the fly's though, they are there to maximise keypace. But in real world we have manufacturing tolerances, meaning that no two parts are ever the same and also there could be a bit of dirt between the wheels & flys and that affects their movement range and thus makes for a slight difference in the rotational conversion.

The RC's are cumulative, as in usually you see something like 1.0 for wheel 1 and 0.5 for wheel 2 and 0.1 for wheel 3. So basically each wheel has almost the same error in them, but the more wheels there are in series the error gets larger almost linearly. Almost, as the world is not perfect.

You are on the right track of how to use them. Suppose you are dialing AWL (L-L-L) and find a gate on wheel 2. Normally you would dial that wheel R, so you have to apply wheel 2's RC to the value you found as a gate to position it correctly in the other direction.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:38 am

Re: Rotational Conversion Constants ... How to use them

What Jaakko said is correct.

I always check contact points again to precisely locate the gate center if it must be dialed the other direction. It takes just two minutes and is critical. Having the number a little off can make your manipulation worthless.

Cheers :)

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks