FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Amplification worksheet

<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:34 pm

Amplification worksheet

Hey guys,

I'm really really new to working with safe locks, so it helps me to do my amplifications on a separate sheet of graph paper. I had been sketching them up as needed, but I finally decided to make a proper worksheet. I have no idea if it will be useful to anyone, but I thought I would put it up here in case others are interested.

Amplification.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:47 pm

Re: Amplification worksheet

If I do manipulation on paper, I'll just get a different color pencil to draw my amplification over the existing graph. That way I also know if it is true or if I'm just seeing things.
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:41 pm

Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:If I do manipulation on paper, I'll just get a different color pencil to draw my amplification over the existing graph. That way I also know if it is true or if I'm just seeing things.

That's how the book instructed me, but I didn't really feel like I had the vertical space to get the marks down in a way that I could easily visualize. I'm sure it's just my lack of experience, but having one graph paper square per number seems to help me to see it a little better. Great point about truth vs. just seeing things! In my last manipulation (not published yet) there are some areas in my amplification that are not represented in the primary graphs... I was definitely seeing things :smile:

The more I learn, the more I realize that really accomplished manipulators seem to not use paper at all in their process. While I'm beginning to see how this is possible, it honestly still seems like magic to me! Does your mind just adapt to holding that many numbers? Do you use visualization to keep track of the readings? I realize that I am probably far too new to even understand the answers to these questions, but I'm dying to know. I understand that I will probably need to do hundreds of them on paper before "free" manipulation is within my grasp, but I'm very excited to read anything you are able to share about your strategy and technique!

As always, thanks a million for your help!
<<

klynch212

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:03 pm

Well said!!
I'm also a newbie and the speed of some of the manipulators amazes me
The fact that they usual only use one CP seems to be the key,
I'm trying the RCP here.

Instead of remembering a lot of numbers maybe they are looking for the
"lowest RCP number found so far" in the range of dial numbers

Set dial AWL to the first number in the range you are testing (0-99?)
Read the RCP for it So its now the "Lowest RCP found" (so far)

LOOP
Set dial to the next number in the range you are testing (1)
If this RCP is greater or equal than "Lowest RCP found" ignore it!!!
If its less than the "Lowest RCP found , it becomes the new "Lowest RCP found"
Go to LOOP

So you only need to remember two numbers
the current test number (in the range of numbers you are testing)
and the lowest RCP value found so far.
This could work better if you wrote down some of the lowest number & values while loopinh

Thats the only way I can think of to explain it
I'm pretty sure Its either that or some more efficient variation of it
A photographic is out of the question for me

Make any sense?, practical?, a more efficient way?
Just thinking out loud

KJL
<<

Josephus

Post Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:15 pm

klynch212 wrote:Well said!!
"lowest RCP number found so far" in the range of dial numbers

Pretty much what I do when I choose to not graph. I try to keep a mental picture of interesting areas but it kinda degrades into that, lol. Calk it up to a skill-building stage that will hopefully be overcome. Often I have to go over areas again but, for me, its faster than pausing to mark a graph every time.
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this guys! Everything you say makes perfect sense to me. The gentile slope of the cam on the RCP always seems to give more distinctive readings, so I understand how using only that would work. Of course, it also requires a more refined touch :smile: Something I'm still working hard to develop! I have a 6730 at work that I spent a bit of time with at lunch today. I started trying a "graph #1" in my head just to see how it would go. I never intended to complete the manipulation, rather just to see how my mind was able to keep track of the numbers. All told, I feel it went well... That's not to say it went perfectly, but I'm further starting to see how "free" manipulation is possible.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts! I'm always amazed at the talents and skills of the people here!

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks