FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Documentation

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Tue May 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Documentation

I have had this burning question in my mind for quite some time now.

What information is needed if you want to make your own safe opening book?

I'm asking this because we have a few safes in our shop that's been sitting there for awhile so I have an opportunity to take down information and pictures.

So where do I start?

I'm sure the Make and Model such as in a car. Like safe manufacturer and model type, including weight.

I'm at a lost as to what information is important and what is not.

Any advice for this intermediate locksmith but newbie safe tech trying to learn more about safes.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue May 03, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Documentation

A book of your own detailing the safes you have opened for future reference? The make, model, lock type, relockers, dialing and change info, etc etc. Take lots of pictures as well.

Have you seen any of the SAVTA bulletins?
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Tue May 03, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: Documentation

I've seem more Dave McOmmie books but they wasn't what I expected.

I expected a detailed instruction of what he thought before, during, and after the safe opening.

Note for my reasoning:

When I was taking brake alignment class at a trade school, our teacher had us write down on a piece of paper, everything and every tool that we used and how we used it.

I wrote such things as we used 1/2" ratchet with a 4" extension with a 8mm socket to loosen up the bolt. Then we used a heavy lead hammer to loosed hit the break bolt to looses it up, etc....

Most of these books talk about dimensions and such but I wish they would go thru the whole process of what they actually did. Some safe opening books do that, especially when it come to something unique as to why they couldn't open it the standard (their standard) way.

I might be ranting a bit, but maybe it might change the way they write these safe opening books.

Of course, a video will do must justice to my point as I've watched in some Dave McOmmie videos.

But anywayd, this has been on my mind for awhile!

CLH!

PS: I like reading about practical steps to doing things like instructions, instead of giving the information and letting you figure out the method.

I guess it's my way of learning. But when I taught myself formulas for my Masterkey Program, I was actuall on my own with exception to the help menu and searching online, so I guess it depends on the learner.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks