FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

S&G 6730: My first manipulation!

<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:47 pm

S&G 6730: My first manipulation!

Hello everyone! Well, today is probably one that I will remember for the rest of my life! I have wanted to learn manipulation for nearly as long as I can remember and it was the kind people on this site that gave me the encouragement and access to the resources that I needed. I will upload my graphs and docs with the hopes that it will be interesting to others, and possibly that some of the folks with vast experience will be able to offer their input on them. I was following the "National Locksmith Guide" through the process, so I really did little more than try to follow his excellent directions without screwing them up. It is clear that this is one of those things that requires years of practice and an earnest desire to improve over the long term. Please enjoy the graphs :safedial:

Graph1.jpg

Graph1a.jpg

HighLow1.jpg

Graph2.jpg

Graph2a.jpg

HighLow2.jpg

Graph3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:25 pm

Re: S&G 6730: My first manipulation!

Congratulations!
You know this means its time to go shopping.
1 new safe lock and 2 cutting boards. :smile:
<<

hipu

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:00 pm

Great work!
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:24 pm

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm going to need to get some more safe locks and cutting boards :smile:. Maybe find something else to mount it to. I actually have another lock waiting to be mounted. I did toy around with the idea of mounting them both to the same board, but wanted to see if I could find something nicer for the other one. The cutting board looked better in my imagination than it did in real life. Whatever though... I'm just riding high on my first manipulation! Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support!
Last edited by tumbl3r on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:49 pm

That is a real high, tumbler. Don't let others tell you that drugs are cheaper than safe locks. They aren't. At least if you buy right. ;)

Still have the first real safe lock I manipulated. In fact, it is beautifully mounted in my living room, having been transferred to different locations over time until I finally made a mount I really was proud of.

Very glad for you and your first successful manipulation. It takes time, but it feels great when it works. A bigger high than picking a lock in my opinion.

Keep on spinning!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:23 am

What did you make your mount out of? I was thinking about what you said and thought maybe it would be nice to do something special with this lock as a way of memorializing its significance. Do you have some photos you would mind sharing?
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:45 pm

Wow dude! That's awesome, I hope one day I can progress to safe manipulation. That looks WAY more involved that I though. lol.

Good job dude! Though all that paperwork scares me.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:05 pm

tumbl3r wrote:What did you make your mount out of? I was thinking about what you said and thought maybe it would be nice to do something special with this lock as a way of memorializing its significance. Do you have some photos you would mind sharing?

The Oak and Lexan one with the brass plate on the bottom is the one.

The stone looking one is actually wood with special spray paint.

The wood one with the two gold Supra key boxes was from Oldfast. The first two I made.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:52 pm

Those are beautiful mounts, Gordon! Thanks for sharing them with me! I was actually thinking about using a shadowbox in some way. Your idea to incorporate lexan really made for a nice presentation.
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:55 pm

WestCoastPicks wrote:Wow dude! That's awesome, I hope one day I can progress to safe manipulation. That looks WAY more involved that I though. lol.

Good job dude! Though all that paperwork scares me.

Thanks man! I was not even really that used to using a safe lock, let alone manipulating one. Learning the touch, theory and mechanics all at once was quite a bit to take on, but I just took my time and went slowly. Amazingly, it worked out just like the book said it would :smile:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:48 am

A few other shots of the oak and lexan mount. Have always wanted to make the lock into a cutaway, but never seem to find the time. Can you imagine a skeletonized lock body with this lexan mount?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread on tumbl3r's first manipulation.

Gordon
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:18 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:A few other shots of the oak and lexan mount. Have always wanted to make the lock into a cutaway, but never seem to find the time. Can you imagine a skeletonized lock body with this lexan mount?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread on tumbl3r's first manipulation.

Gordon

That is such a cool mount option. I would probably mount mine all like this. Very pleasing to the eye.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:01 pm

From Medecos to manipulation :D I LOVE IT!!

VERY excited for you on this one! I see no errors to speak of.
A text book opening really. You played it out very nicely!
Rotations, amplification, and hi/low tests all look spot on.

After the adrenaline rush settles, lol, always look back over your graphs to learn everything you can.
On your very 1st graph (AWR) you found a fairly nice gate @ 34 (which you did a great job of quickly
tagging to w3)... but looking at graph#1, now knowing the gates for wheels 1 & 2, do you see either of
them? Wheel 1 (45.5) doesn't really show yet. It would not have peaked my interest anyway. However,
w2 (19.5) does show. It's not your classic gate signature, but it's enough to say there MIGHT be a gate.

Notice the fairly steep drop that occurs as you went from 20 to 22.5. The rate of change is greater there
than anywhere else on the graph (excluding the gate @34 of course). The possibility that a gate lurks
around 18 or 19 is there. Your 2nd graph then (wheels 1&2 around) might start through this area to
see if a gate shows. Noticing these subtle or possible gates can sometimes speed up the process
allowing you to confirm another gate almost immediately rather than an entire rotation of readings.
Not saying it will always pan out... but you might as well take a peak in the most likely places first.

Keep at it & thanks for sharing this! I look forward to your next spin-session :spinning:

@Gordon... I've seen your oak & lexan mount before... but it's just as beautiful every time!
And you're right, that would make a killer cutaway. BTW, most cutaways have only minimal
amounts removed. But I really think you could take an enormous amount of the lock body
away and still be left with a functioning lock. I'd love to see a lock TRULY cut AWAY. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:53 pm

Oldfast wrote:From Medecos to manipulation :D I LOVE IT!!

VERY excited for you on this one! I see no errors to speak of.
A text book opening really. You played it out very nicely!
Rotations, amplification, and hi/low tests all look spot on.

After the adrenaline rush settles, lol, always look back over your graphs to learn everything you can.
On your very 1st graph (AWR) you found a fairly nice gate @ 34 (which you did a great job of quickly
tagging to w3)... but looking at graph#1, now knowing the gates for wheels 1 & 2, do you see either of
them? Wheel 1 (45.5) doesn't really show yet. It would not have peaked my interest anyway. However,
w2 (19.5) does show. It's not your classic gate signature, but it's enough to say there MIGHT be a gate.

Notice the fairly steep drop that occurs as you went from 20 to 22.5. The rate of change is greater there
than anywhere else on the graph (excluding the gate @34 of course). The possibility that a gate lurks
around 18 or 19 is there. Your 2nd graph then (wheels 1&2 around) might start through this area to
see if a gate shows. Noticing these subtle or possible gates can sometimes speed up the process
allowing you to confirm another gate almost immediately rather than an entire rotation of readings.
Not saying it will always pan out... but you might as well take a peak in the most likely places first.

Keep at it & thanks for sharing this! I look forward to your next spin-session :spinning:

@Gordon... I've seen your oak & lexan mount before... but it's just as beautiful every time!
And you're right, that would make a killer cutaway. BTW, most cutaways have only minimal
amounts removed. But I really think you could take an enormous amount of the lock body
away and still be left with a functioning lock. I'd love to see a lock TRULY cut AWAY. lol

I didn't think this was possible, but you have made this sound both very hard, and very interesting. I kinda want to look in to this some more. Anyone point me in the right direction?
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:37 am

Mind: Blown!

I would have never tagged that change from 20 to 22.5 as anything even remotely significant. That after reading the book that specifically said to watch for rate of change... It's just such a blip that I would have not thought twice about it. Thank you VERY much for pointing this out. I'm guessing what this shows is either a fence that is bent slightly so that it can read two wheels at once, or a larger wheel that is oblong and allows the fence to come into contact with the second largest wheel at some points in its rotation (in this case where there happened to be a gate). Would that be correct? I always try to visualize what is actually going on inside the lock so that I can better understand both the data that I am graphing AND keep track of what wheel I'm moving at any given time. I still loose track of that pretty often though.

I just mounted up my other lock tonight. It's a 6730 - 163, so it should, in theory be a little more difficult. I'll take a run at manipulating it this weekend. I've been distracted for the past week or so by a most evil and uncooperative ASSA Twin!

Again, thank you SO MUCH, Oldfast for your notes on my first manipulation! Hopefully I'll have another successful one very soon.
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks