FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Beginner's guide to opening a safe.

<<

Themisl

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:55 am

Re: Beginers guide to opening a safe.

Altashot - thanks a lot.

I have read most of your posts on direct entry locks and i was following your instructions. Now i am sure i had the right procedure on my mind and I have to find a way to tape a laser pointer to the key. And i guess i will begin relying on my hand pressure. Hope i can see some differences at those gates.

Again thanks a lot. Your posts have been very helpful.

Cheers.
<<

Altashot

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Glad I could help.
You'll have to let us know when you get it opened.
Oh! And we want pictures, or it didn't happen...
We love pictures.

M.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:29 am

pickmonger2 wrote:An interesting introduction to opening a safe from Wikihow.

Its a chance to learn some of the basic vocabulary and method of operation.

http://www.wikihow.com/Crack-a-Safe

Pretty sure that whoever wrote that hasn't opened a single combination lock via manipulation. The text is sketchy at places, doesn't provide anything solid and uses vague descriptions all the time.
<<

Themisl

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Altashot wrote:Glad I could help.
You'll have to let us know when you get it opened.
Oh! And we want pictures, or it didn't happen...
We love pictures.

M.

Of course i will.

I am still struggling to find a way to apply steady pressure to the key.
Lately i didn't have much of free time to work on that.
I made a small " device" attached to the key but i am still not confident it is helpful yet.
I will send some pictures to tell me your opinion.
<<

Themisl

Post Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Beginner's guide to opening a safe.

Hi to everybody.

At last!!!!!
Safe opened!!!

It took me some time because i didn't have much time to work on the safe. However the result was rewarding.
Thanks eveyone for the help provided. All the posts on this forum gave me very useful guidance on the procedure.
While beeing a beginer it took me some time to understand some parts of the procedure and i had to go back and read again and again online documents and posts on this forum. Everytime i realized i went deeper in the whole theory of manipulation. But what gave me the hardest time was the method to attach a laser pointer to the key in order to get consistent data for the graphs. The only similar case i had found on internet was Altashot's example with the Crown direct entry safe. Generaly it was difficult to find many direct entry caseson the internet.

http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... =15#p76246

That's why i would like to share my experience on this forum. I think some people would like to read what method i used in order to open this safe.

First of all, form the early beginning wanted to change the Althshot's rod pointer with a laser pointer, cause i knew i could get better amplification of the depth using it. I could point it as far i wanted. But i needed to find a way to attach it to the key and then a way to apply the same power on every try.
My first idea was the following:

Vepox Safe 001.JPG

Vepox Safe 004.JPG

Vepox Safe 005.JPG

Vepox Safe 006.JPG

Soon i realized that this structure was not stable enough and i took different meaurements every time i turned it on the same number on the wheel pack. A slight
movement of the "handle" atached to the key had a big effect on the laser pointer. My graphs had to meaning at all.

So i started thinking of robust construction with decent weight in order to fall in the drive cam's gate and touch the wheels with the same power every time. I came up with the following:

Vepox Safe 007.JPG

Vepox Safe 008.JPG

Vepox Safe 009.JPG

Vepox Safe 011.JPG

This structure seemed more stable in the beginning, However i did the first graph several times and i realised that there was no constinensy in the measurements. There where many variations on the graphs. I though that the weight was the reason for that. So i attached a magnet on the tightener.

Vepox Safe 013.JPG

Vepox Safe 015.JPG

Bingo!!!

Even from the first graph i could tell measurements were correct. The graphs for the first wheel seemed quite accurate. I did it a second time it was almost identical (last two graphs on photo). I knew i was on the righ track.

Vepox Safe 022.JPG

I continued the procedure for the second and third wheel. To be honest i still was not sure if this would lead to a happy end.
I started taking measurements for the third wheel and at the time i reached 20 i let the structure fall and......BANG. It touch the ground!!!. I pulled the door and it just opened. WHAT A GREAT FEELING!!!!

Vepox Safe 017.JPG

Vepox Safe 018.JPG

Vepox Safe 019.JPG

I really enjoyed it as if it was a big achievement.

Thinging back of the whole precedure i would say that stable power during measurements is critical on direct entry safes.
Especially when these safes have keylocks and not handles. As soon as i solved this problem, next steps ended up to be straightforward.

Here you can see my working place.

Just to end this post, i would like to thank again all the members of this forum for their valuable posts and especially Altashot. His advice was critical.Thanks a lot.

Cheers!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Altashot

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:17 am

Good job!
I knew you'd come up with something.
Congratulations! I like how tenacious and resourceful you were.
Many people would have given up, but not you.
You did it!
Awesome!

Thanks for the pictures.
Was there anything inside?

M.
<<

Themisl

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:22 pm

Actually i wasn't expecting much. I knew that there was nothing valuable inside. Just the combination, the user manual, and equipment for screwing it on the ground.

The funny thing is that the only thing i found inside was a big screw. No manuals , no combination.
So i went back to my father, who had already searched for those but with no result, and asked him to look again. After a couple of a days he found everything in a drawer he never suspected.

Ironic isn't it?

Of course i didn't mind. I was very grateful i learned all this stuff along the whole procedure.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:34 am

Congrats man! You did a great job, It was not easy!
I like how you used that clamp.

Cheers :)
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Yeah, well done! I have a lazer attachment that works well for handles, but I've never dealt
with a key before (not sure if it would work so well). So this is very helpful! Glad you shared it.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Great job!! That you kept your goal in sight and perservered is a testimate to your work ethic. Again, congratulations!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks