Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:33 am

Opened two Supra-C lock boxes

I was telling a realestate agent friend of mine about opening two safes so she brought me two of those lock boxes that they hang on door knobs that have a combination lock and box on them to store the house key. Someone had given them to her but without the combinations. I looked on line, including here, for some information about how to get into them, but without success. I did find a video about resetting the combination on them so that helped me to learn how they were set up inside.

I decided that they are more or less similar to a direct drive locks that I had been working on before, so I started by "graphing" the letters around the dial to see if I could find a hint of any of the letters to the combination. I would set to wheels AWR and then start at A and see is I could find some indication of that being any of the letters by pulling the little rectangular button down. First I was looking for some kind of gap by setting a letter, pulling the button then trying to turn the dial a little each way. I found what I thought were two or three posible numbers with the first one that way. Then I tried working those numbers into combinations and did find that one combination let me pull the button a little farther than the others.

What I had done was pull the button down on any given setting and then draw a small line with a marker just under it as far as I could pull it. I used that line as the gauge or reference for each subsequent pull. With one of the combinations I found that the button pulled farther than with others and just covering the line I had drawn. Then I began using similar combinations by changing each of the letters one or two either way of the first combination and shortly the lock opened. Then I reset the combination and set it aside to give back to my friend.

The other one was more difficult. I set AWR with it, but rather than trying to find a gap around letters I just tested each letter with the depth of pull, again with the reference line I drew. I found three letters the first time. One was the J and another was the P. Then with subsequent graphs I found the G the V and maybe the T, or around it. Then I started working various combinations with these letters, but with little success. Next I started setting two wheels on letters, sometimes the ones I had found and sometimes on random letters, and then tested the third wheel all around at each letter.

That's how I found that the third wheel was certainly the P. Then I did the same running combinations with different letters on the first wheel and P on the last, but with some random number on the second wheel. Eventually I found that T was the first wheel, and that was when the button pulled down just over the line, but not enough to open the lock, just as I had luckily found with the first lock.

Finally I decided to set the first wheel at T and the last wheel at P and then run the alphabet to see what the middle letter was. I ran the first of these combinations with the letter A in the middle and the darn thing opened.

One thing that I did with the second lock was make a little wooden cradle with a lever on it to use to pull the button down because using my thumbs was killing me. That helped a lot.

Now I have four combination locks to my credit.