FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Fixing a LaGard group 2 with a loose drive cam?

<<

twenglish 1

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Fixing a LaGard group 2 with a loose drive cam?

I posted recently about a safe lock I have, while trying to manipulate I noticed the contact area changed completely by at least 3 increments, I'm pretty sure the issue is due to excess play in the shaft to drive cam connection, how could I correct this problem? Could it just be the spline key?
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:58 pm

Re: Fixing a LaGard group 2 with a loose drive cam?

If the spline key slot in the post and the cam are of equal size, and the key is just to thin, you can "bow" the key to fill the space. If everything is aligned properly there will be very little resistance while turning the dial. In this case bending the key (bowing) will give long service life. If the 2 pieces have different width slots, you can file a thicker key to fit ( and probably means the parts are not a set ). Or one or both parts may need to be replaced. The best option is always a key that fits properly.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks