FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Cole file cabinet with safe

<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Re: Cole file cabinet with safe

oetkenky1 wrote:Could someone help me by decoding this N552674 or provide me with the details on how to decode. I've read the entire thread and have some guesses at how the decoding works but I can't be sure as it isn't explicitly spelled out. I need to open this after an unexpected family death. Thanks for any help.

If you had read the entire thread you would see that there is no way to "decode" that number. It is simply a serial number. Look here to find a tech to open it up. http://www.savta.org/savta_tech.php
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

geissepeter

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:47 pm

Riyame wrote: If you had read the entire thread you would see that there is no way to "decode" that number. It is simply a serial number. Look here to find a tech to open it up. http://www.savta.org/savta_tech.php

There are ways to decode the code, it's just not published in this thread. Just ask nicely and you will be helped. Unfortunately, it's not me that can help you.
<<

oetkenky1

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Don't let the post above discourage you from asking. My post was responded to by someone without hours asking for the diameter of the dial (which I forgot to include on my post even though I did read the entire thread). After providing that I had the safe open in a few more hours thanks to the help of an anonymous friend on this forum.
<<

L4R3L2

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:54 am

Key codes are codes that require a reference source to "decode". There's no magic or mathematical formula that can be used to translate the letters/numbers directly into key cuts. I have a feeling it's the same here. i.e. there's no formula to derive the combination from the serial number, but the serial number can be used to derive the combination through the use of a separate, and restricted reference.
<<

citRon

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:04 pm

Greetings! I joined this forum hoping for some help; I found it after googling 'Cole Steel Cabinet Combo'.
I picked up one of the large file cabinets with a locking door and the small combo safe from a guy off Facebook marketplace locally. He said it had been in his uncle's shop for decades, then sat in storage with everything for 20 years...I had agreed to buy it as he said the combination was written inside.
As it turns out, it was somebody's shorthand code for the combination, not real numbers! For the price, I figured it was worth the gamble since it's locked in the open position.

I'm doing background investigations for the Fed Gov't as a Contractor working from home- retired as a Det. from the PD here. This locking cabinet meets the Gov't's requirement for 'double locking' documents, the first being the home's door locks...so this cabinet will do everything I need, and fits my home office vintage look- desk, lamps, phone, etc are from the 40's or repros.

Reading here guided me to the handwritten code in marker on the inside of the back wall. "N256692".

If someone could help me with how to get the original combination from that, I'd sure appreciate it! If the combo has been changed and that doesn't work, I'll go to plan 'B' of resetting it.

oh...and I'm not sure which direction it turns- L,R,L...or R,L,R...
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:06 pm

L3-R2-L1-and then R to stop. If that doesn't work then L4-R3-L2-R to stop. If door is open, look through peephole in back of lock to determine combo.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

citRon

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55 am

bitbuster wrote:L3-R2-L1-and then R to stop. If that doesn't work then L4-R3-L2-R to stop. If door is open, look through peephole in back of lock to determine combo.

Awesome, thanks. When I'm looking through the peephole, I'm watching for a 'gap' during each turn, correct?
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:29 am

Line up the gates and then last turn right to open.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:33 am

The hole is there for the purpose of finding the combination of the lock. The wheel directly behind this hole is for the first number. All wheels have one gap = gate which needs to be put behind this hole. So turn left until this gate of the first wheel aligns with the hole and note first number. Then switch direction until the gate of the second wheel appears there and not number. Then switch direction and do the same for the third wheel.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

citRon

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Woo! I did it! You guys rock!! I got L95,R60,L19 then right about 9, I could be 'off' a 1/2 to 1 number either way and it still works, I guess these things loosen up over time? I don't know what year it was made, but the sticker name on the inside has a 5 digit phone number!

Now my next task is to see if there's a way to figure out the keyed handle for the outer door, to get a replacement key.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Well done mate, seriously. All you have to remember is that these things are simply elaborate mechanical puzzles. Figure out how the puzzle works, and hey presto. Not only are you beating the lock, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. And believe me, it gets addictive...
<<

citRon

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:57 pm

yep...neighbor across the street has a safe he was given, locked of course...Ive been wanting to play with that for a while now...
<<

daveypick

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone here could help me determine the combination for an old Cole filing cabinet I bought. Fortunately, the keys were available so I could locate the serial on the back wall. The serial number is N551063, and the dial diameter is 3 inches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
<<

wroundey

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Just picked up an old Cole steel cabinet with a combination lock behind one door. The number written in the back of the cabinet is N703886. Any help in decoding this to identify the combination would be greatly appreciated
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:29 pm

I have sent daveypick and wroundey each a PM.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks